Friday, December 12, 2008


Over the past several weeks I have enjoyed sitting in nature, and every time I have been outside I have had the privilege of sitting near a tree. There is something so inspiring about our woody friends. It is the trees that stand tall, without movement, or uttering a word. It is the tree that lives well beyond the lifespan of the creatures making their home in them. While the trees stand in silence, I can not help but hear their words of wisdom, every time I am around them.

We cut down a Christmas tree today. And I could not help but notice this annual tradition in a different way this year. The evergreen has become a hallmark inside the home of every Christmas observing home across the world. During the Advent season, it is the coniferous trees that have come to symbolize the eternal life made available by the coming Savior, Jesus. While I have all sorts of good memories associated with the Christmas tree, there is a part of me that now mourns the loss of life of the trees that have sat in my living room.

Looking deep into the prickly caverns filled with all sorts of nostalgic ornaments, I am thankful to this Blue Spruce and for the sacrifice it has made for us this year. While partially sad, I am also filled with joy, as I think about how the tree has been a part of my advent celebration my whole life, even when I haven’t noticed it. For it is not only us humans who eagerly await the Savior, but it the whole earth, including the trees.


O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,How steadfast are your branches!
Your boughs are green in summer's clime And through the snows of wintertime.
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,How steadfast are your branches!


O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,What happiness befalls me when oft
at joyous Christmas-time Your form inspires my song and rhyme.O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,What happiness befalls me


O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,Your boughs can teach a lesson
That constant faith and hope sublime Lend strength and comfort through all time.
O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,Your boughs can teach a lesson.


No comments: