Tuesday, October 21, 2008

“You ride on the wings of the wind, you make the winds your messengers, fire and flame your ministers" Psalm 102:3-4
In the midst of all the godly prophets of today, and of all the faithful ministers gathered around us, it is refreshing to find God’s word and works through a vast array of means. As I took another Michigan camping trip this weekend I was able to see God crying out to me in a new-found way. While studying at seminary to become a pastor, being around the clergy of creation reminded me that God is going to do God’s work with or without me, and this is as refreshing as the crisp water from an autumn lake.
When asked to rebuke his disciples for hysterically praising the work of God that they experienced, Christ told the Pharisees “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out” (Luke 19:40). Being in a transitional time of life when I am trying to figure out what exactly is it that I am supposed to be doing in this world, I often find myself being reminded that the preaching of the Word of God and God’s work throughout the world is not somehow hinged on what I will or will not do. God’s Word will go forth! It is part of the DNA of the Word of God that it cannot be contained, and it will go out and not return empty, as the prophet Isaiah writes. God’s Word is not dependant on my feeble lips uttering a sound or preaching a word. If it comes to it, the stones will cry out, and all creation will sing for me in my silence. In the loudness of life it often takes utter silence to be reminded of God’s Word.

As the kayak broke the surface tension of the water, I immediately felt the tension I possessed shatter into a million pieces. The wind gently whispered across the water, gracefully moving me as it desired. I was reminded of the Psalmists words “you make the winds your messengers”. I reclined in my seat and sat motionless for a while, feeling the gentle messages of God moving me. Looking around and realizing that there was not another boat on the small kettle lake, I gently broke the subtle current and plunged the blade of my paddle deep into the water. With each stroke through the placid current, I picked up more speed and began hearing the whisper of the autumn breeze, and feeling the sting of the cool air on my ears. Being carried away with the pattern of the paddle-stroke, I was soon captivated by the scenery racing by me on shore.

Still reflecting on the words of the Psalmist, I soon found myself moved by the ministers of fire and flame. As I stopped pushing through the water, and the rippling mirror settled, I found myself enthralled by the reflection of a colorful array of trees ashore. In the midst of the early autumn green, there seemed to be a cluster of trees blazing, yet not being consumed. Perhaps this is what the burning bush looked like to Moses.

Wind of God move me,
Fire of God consume me,
Word of God change me.

No comments: